Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Day of Miracles and Welcome Frederick!

September 8th was the day Frederick Francisco finally decided to join us. I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers as we experienced many miracles from our Heavenly Father over the last few days, including a beautiful healthy baby boy! He was born at 3:22pm and was 20 inches long and 8 pounds. He was also 13 days past his due date. The things we noticed most were that he has very long toes and fingers, and quite a bit of hair as well.

Miracle 1: I was scheduled to be induced at 7am on Thursday morning. I went into labor at midnight on the night before. (PS: there was also a lesson in not procrastinating doing anything before a scheduled induction -- like showering!)

Miracle 2: During the labor there came a time when the doctor tried to give me a bit of Pitocin to speed things along, which the baby didn't like at all. Which means that if I had been induced it would most certainly have ended up in a c-section. But luckily my body was able to handle everything naturally.

Miracle 3: My parents arrived at 11pm. I went into labor at midnight, and we were off to the hospital at 1:30am. This meant that my mom got to be there for the whole thing and that my dad was able to help us in watching Andreas, who was able to stay sound asleep in bed.

Miracle 4: After pushing for over 3 1/2 hours, there was some doubts around whether the baby was too big to be born naturally. They were readying the surgery room for a c-section, when finally the baby was able to be born. It was a close call though! I was not looking forward to recovering from a c-section AND the pains from an almost VBAC!

Miracle 5: Fred came out healthy and well and without any major problems. We went through a trying period with making sure he was getting the food he needed, but we have worked through it and he is eating and sleeping well.

Here he is freshly out of the oven.
And with his proud papa who watched the whole thing (and only nearly fainted a few times) as well as cut the cord!

And the horrible aftermath picture with the Mama:First day of life:


My mom made a beautiful quilt for Fred that even matched his coming home outfit. We got home from the hospital on Saturday Sept 10th around 3pm, and I was very grateful to be home.


Here is Grandma with Andreas:
And Fred with his Mom:

I think I will entitle this picture "Yin and Yang":
The Brothers:
A BIG thanks to Mom and Dad for helping out during our time of need!
Andreas is adjusting to sharing the attention, but he also loves to kiss his new little brother and help pat him after he eats.

Our joyful family of 4! We feel so blessed to have Fred and can't wait to show him off to everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! He's just beautiful... I hope you guys will be able to make it to reunion next year so I can meet your cute boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Fred--one week today and adorable. Loved seeing all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, he is so precious! Glad everything went smoothly -love the Kimballs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretchen!!! Finally more pics:) What a beautiful baby. I am counting down until Christmas and we can give him a squeeze. What a huge blessing...God loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Gretchen! You already have a family pictures of all of you! WE don't even have that yet and Max is almost 3 months old. You are good, girl. What a crazy birth story. Rachel's was sort of like that. Except I actually did have to have a c-section. But I've had two successful VBACs after that, so all is well. Little Fred is so cute! Good luck recovering and learning to be a mom of two!

    ReplyDelete